Elaine Carbines AM (BA Monash, Dip Ed Monash, GAICD, FIPAA (Vic)) is the former CEO of G21 – The Geelong Region Alliance, a position she held for ten years. G21 is the Regional Strategic Planning Committee covering the municipalities of Greater Geelong, Surf Coast, Colac Otway, Golden Plains and Queenscliffe in Victoria, Australia.
Elaine’s career has been diverse. She worked as a humanities teacher in Victorian State Schools during the 80s and 90s before entering State Parliament.
From 1999 – 2006 Elaine was elected as the Member for Geelong Province. During this time she held the positions of Parliamentary Secretary for Education and Environment.
Elaine oversaw key government projects including:
- The Cutting Red Tape in Planning Report
- The Live Music Taskforce
- The Great Ocean Road Regional Strategy
- The Coastal Spaces Report
Following her parliamentary career, Elaine worked as the Manager of Strategic Relations at Parks Victoria from 2007-2010.
During this time Elaine led many community engagement processes for Parks Victoria including the redevelopment of Portarlington and Queenscliff harbours, the Great Otway National Park masterplan and the Twelve Apostles visitor centre.
She currently holds the following positions:
- Deputy Chair, Barwon Water Board
- Deputy Chair Gforce Employment Solutions Board
- Deputy Chair, Barwon South West Regional Development Australia Committee
- Director, AWA Alliance Bank Board
- Director, IMPACT Institute Board
- Director, Northern Futures Board
- Independent Chair, Geelong Port Community Advisory Committee
In 2004 Elaine was awarded by the Victorian Coastal Council for her significant contribution to the development of Victoria’s system of marine national parks and sanctuaries.
In 2018 Elaine was inducted as a Fellow of the Institute of Public Administration for her contribution to the public sector in Victoria.
In 2020 Elaine was awarded as a Member of the Order of Australia for her significant contribution to the environment and conservation.